EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT GREEN VALLEY GARDENS
Because we are an outdoor retail nursery and do not rear plants in greenhouses during the winter, we are only open for business from early spring to mid-autumn. Thus, we only hire for seasonal positions. Our peak hiring period is early spring, though we sometimes hire temporary workers as needed, including in autumn to help with winter prep. We keep applications we receive throughout the year on file until our next hiring period. For regular seasonal hiring we begin reviewing applications by February 1st each year. Depending on early spring weather, our seasonal work typically begins mid- to late February. Available work hours can be unstable in early spring, especially if late snowstorms or other unforeseen disruptions interfere with operations. However, once spring weather truly arrives full-time hours are usually available for our seasonal employees. Our peak business season lasts through May, at which point work opportunities will end for most of our seasonal workers.
We are a small team at Green Valley Gardens, so all employees are expected to help out with all areas of operations as needed. Employees must:
– Have a strong work ethic and a willingness to eagerly help coworkers with physically strenuous team projects, such as unloading trees from trucks or digging holes for incoming balled-and-burlapped plants.
– Be able to lift fifty pounds, often many times per day.
– Be willing to use a rake, a shovel, and other tools.
– Be willing to provide quality customer service and run a cash register.
– Be punctual, dependable, professional, and ethical.
No prior experience is required, but relevant experience is certainly a bonus. We love to see applicants with prior horticultural experience, arborist training, knowledge of how to use power tools, ability to drive a tractor, etc.
To apply, applicants may submit THIS APPLICATION and/or a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing application materials in early February and may still consider applications received throughout our sales season if more employees are needed.